Did you know that more than 60 percent of all under-5 injuries happen in the home? Find out how to make your child's environment safe. Some tips - never leave children, especially those under 5 years of age, unsupervised near water, including baths, buckets and water troughs. Keep medicine in a high place out of reach and out of sight of children. Store it in a locked or latched cupboard. Read more safety tips below.
School age children are not travelling as safely as they could. To be safe children need to be in booster seats until they are 148cm tall. For the majority of children this is somewhere between 9 and 12 years of age.
Children injured in driveway accidents often suffer severe and sometimes fatal injuries. Check for children before driving off; supervise children around vehicles - always; separate play areas from driveways.
Too much paracetamol is one of the most common causes of poisoning in under 5 year olds. Ring the Poisons Centre if you are worried that your child may have swallowed too much of their own medicine, or has swallowed someone else's medicine.
If you think your child has been poisoned, call the New Zealand National Poisons Centre immediately on 0800 POISON (0800 764 766). Do not try to make your child vomit or give food or liquid until you have been given advice.