Poisoning - what to do

Poisoning - what to do

If you think your child has been poisoned, call the New Zealand National Poisons Centre immediately on 0800 POISON (0800 764 766). Do not try to make your child vomit or give food or liquid until you have been given advice.

What to do if you think your child has been poisoned

Call 0800 764 766

Do not try to make your child vomit or give food or liquid until you have been given advice.

Call the New Zealand National Poisons Centre immediately on 0800 POISON (0800 764 766). This is a 24-hour 7-day toll free emergency telephone service.

When to dial 111

Phone 111 within New Zealand for an ambulance (use the appropriate emergency number in other countries) if:

  • your child is unconscious or having difficulty breathing
  • you are worried that your child looks very ill (see Is my child very sick?)
  • the Poisons Centre has advised you to do so

Wait for advice 

Do not try to make your child vomit or give food or liquid until you have been given advice.

Go to hospital if your child has swallowed a button battery

Photo of 2 button batteriesIf you suspect your child has swallowed a button battery, act immediately. Go to your nearest hospital emergency department. (See the page about button batteries). 

Remember

  • remain calm
  • bring the product container of the poisoning agent to the phone if you can, so you can provide any information asked by the poison information officer

This page last reviewed 15 May 2017.
Email us your feedback


On this page